In today’s economy, many people are working to make sure they don’t overspend. Dieting is one of the places where people spend the most money. But it is possible to know how to diet on a budget so you don’t overspend.
There are two routes you can take to dieting success when it comes to your budget. You can join a program that has costs attached to it or you can do it on your own and use a program from a book or other source.
Diet programs that offer fee-based services have benefits and drawbacks:
- Often program fees are high and don’t cover the cost of food.
- Even a diet that comes with prepackaged food must be supplemented with more food.
- You may get personal one-on-one service.
- You may get support at group meetings.
- You have accountability and regular weigh-ins.
- You have someone to coach you when you’re struggling and celebrate your successes.
- You must make time in your schedule for any regular appointments or classes.
- You may have to pay for meetings or appointments even if you don’t attend them.
Alternatively, if you choose the option of going it on your own, you’ll find that there are also benefits and drawbacks:
- You can use information from books, magazines, or online resources to tailor a plan for you. Many of these sources are inexpensive or free.
- You won’t have as much accountability.
- You won’t have to buy expensive prepackaged food, but you will have to spend more time preparing food.
- Support can be encouraged by working with friends, but you won’t have a built-in coach.
- You won’t have to schedule regular appointments or meetings.
Ultimately, you need to choose a diet you can stick with in the first place. If you’re choosing something that’s way out of your budget, you won’t be able to afford it long-term.
It is important that you make wise financial decisions early on in the process.