In order to maintain good health, it is a good idea to follow a balanced diet. But what does following a balanced diet actually mean? A balanced diet starts with consuming foods that are in their whole state.
Foods that come from all the different food groups and you eat them in the right amounts. A balanced diet also means you avoid foods that consist of unwanted nutrients like sugar, saturated fats, and too much sodium.
It must be stated that everyone’s body is different, and as a result, it would not be practical for us to all follow the same eating plan. Depending on your gender, age, or possible illnesses, you may require different amounts and types of nutrients.
If you are feeling like you don’t have the best-balanced diet, you can start working towards changing that by adopting some new eating habits.
Some Basic Rules for a Balanced Diet:
- An easy first step is to reduce the amount of salt you eat. You should not exceed 6 grams a day. Start by paying attention to the amount of salt you eat and you may find that you are a little shocked at the amount. You will need to consider the salt/sodium in food not just what you add to your food from the salt shaker.
- Another easy step is to cut down on the amount of saturated fat and sugar that you eat daily. This is easy to calculate since you will be able to find out the amounts on the package, bottle or can.
- Try to get at least six to eight glasses of water every day. If you don’t like plain water try adding the juice of a lemon or lime. This will add some flavor and make it easier to get the water into your system. Also, cut out drinking soft drinks since they have a lot of sugar and will actually dehydrate you.
- To get all the nutrients your body needs, try adding at least two portions of fish every week. Try a salmon or tuna sandwich with canned fish if you aren’t a great fish eater.
- It is a good idea to not skip meals. Start with a nutritious breakfast so that you will have a kick start to the day that will give you energy.
- One way to get a balanced diet that is easy to do is by eating at least five or more portions of fruits and vegetables every day. This one is easy because you don’t have to cook all of these foods. Fruit is especially easy and makes a wonderful snack. Another way to get all the vegetables you need into your diet is to make a salad. Great for lunch or a light dinner!
Why Is A Balanced Diet Important?
Your body won’t work very well without the proper nutrition. Your tissues, organs, and skin need nutrients in order to do their job. If you don’t eat enough nutritious food you can easily get infections, experience fatigue or being prone to a number of diseases and illnesses.
As a parent, you will want to make sure your children have a balanced diet. Since they are developing and growing they will need all the nutrition they can get in order to have a healthy body. Also, you don’t want to teach them bad habits that will affect their lives later on in life.
There are so many diseases that are on the rise in the world. Paying attention to the quality of food you eat can help ward off diabetes and obesity. As well strokes, cancer, heart disease and diabetes are all linked to a poor diet.
Do you find you easily get colds or the flu? Do you find that you don’t have all the energy you need to get through the day? Chances are you simply need to start eating a more balanced diet.
Seeking Help From A Professional
If you don’t know where to start in getting a balanced diet you might want to seek out the help of a nutritionist. They will be able to point you in the right direction by helping you plan a personalized eating plan.